Friday, September 7, 2012

Who 
DOESN'T 
love a good foot massage?!

my history of reflexology
AND
the history of reflexology






In my networking events and such I'm always sharing that I am "The Neck Work Expert", but recently, one of my clients made a request....

Instead of a full body massage he only wanted neck and feet.  Since I've been customizing massage sessions for years this certainly posed no problems!  That is not the point I'm highlighting in this post...

He had had many stressful situations going on in his life that week and had been on an extensive bike ride that day.  When we finished the session he shared that he felt completely restored and energized.  The next session he was still raving about the results.  He said he continued to feel grounded and energized for several days after this initial foot massage.  He exclaimed, "You are the foot massage expert!"  I laughed.  He asked why I did not mention it before.  

I thought, that is an interesting question. I gave it some thought...  I concluded that after so many years of practicing bodywork, I've gained numerous tools and techniques and don't even realize all I have to offer!  ...that and it's fun to let others discover your "hidden" talents.  (I prefer to under promise and over deliver.)

my history of reflexology:
When I began my practice in 1997 I was fascinated by all the modalities of massage.  After a very eye opening experience with a client I was a FIRM believer in the preventative and healing benefits of reflexology.

I had studied the relationships reflexology points have to systems and organs of the body and taken some courses in reflexology at the time this client came to me in 1998.  As I was working on her feet she complained of pain in a particular area.  I shared what the area represented and suggested she consult a doctor.

The next time she returned she had discovered she had cervical cancer.  She underwent treatment and her cancer was conquered.  She generously thanked me for saving her from this disease taking her over.

This situation inspired me to pursue becoming a reflexologist.  This was LONG before I considered specializing in neck work.  I ordered a book titled "The Definitive Guide on Reflexology" and anxiously awaited its arrival.  The day it came I was so excited!  I knew I was going to help so many people. 

This book was HUGE, it had 10,000 pages and so much information.  Being young and easily startled I told myself that I could never master all that information.  I know now, had I broken it down, and stayed committed that indeed I could have mastered reflexology. That was then, and this is now.

Now, just because I did pursue becoming a reflexologist, doesn't mean I'm not darn good at it!  I've had so many reflexology hand and foot treatments I've lost count.  With all that personal experience I know what feels delicious and I know what hurts!  I give a great foot massage that stimulates the reflexology points.  I am always willing to explore with my clients how their pain may relate to potential health concerns.

the history of reflexology:
Here is a link to the International Institute of Reflexology which has the juicy details regarding the history and the benefits of reflexology.  If you need a GREAT foot massage, give me a call! 





Cheers,
Yvonne L Larson | LA’s Neck Work Expert
Facebook.com/NeckWorkExpert

No comments:

Post a Comment